HHA Presents 75th Plaque for 1820 Zoar Home
At their monthly meeting held on Thursday, December 7, 2017, members of Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County witnessed the presentation of the organization's Heritage Home plaque -- a well-deserved one. Homeowner Chuck Knaack was on hand to accept the plaque for the home he and his wife June own at 199 East Third Street in the historic village of Zoar.
The home is, first and foremost, a log home, which is believed to have been constructed circa 1820. The Zoarites did not leave such records for us that would enable us to confirm a more exact date, but its log construction dates it back to one of the very earliest built when the Society of Separatists arrived from Germany and began to settle what is now known as Zoar, Ohio.
The clapboard addition was added some time before 1900.
The home was given to David and Amanda Beiter when the Zoar Society disbanded in 1898.
The photo at left is post-restoration, as it looks today, as it most likely looked 150 years ago.
The black and white photo at right shows that the house had already been covered with clapboard (and painted white) circa 1900. It remained so for another 70+ years.
When they purchased the home in 1978, the Knaacks became its tenth owner.
With the help of people who had worked on the restoration of historic Zoar Village, they accomplished the restoration in about five years.
199 East Third Street in Zoar is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The historic village of Zoar is a National Historic Landmark.
Below, Chuck Knaack (right) accepts the Heritage Home plaque from Vice-President of Plaquing and past president Jerry Stoughton (left).
A job well-done.. with a little help from his friends. Congratulations Chuck & June!
Heritage Home Association of Tuscarwas County is dedicated to the preservation and documentation of the historically and architecturally significant homes, buildings, and neighborhoods of Tuscarawas County.
To be considered for a Heritage Home plaque, a home must have been built prior to 1901, must have its original facade and original lines intact. For more information, click on the HOME tab above.
Christmas Tour of Homes Marks 24th Season
The Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County will present the 24th Annual Christmas Tour of Homes on Sunday, December 10, from 12 noon to 5pm.
The range of tour sites stretches from Town to Country with four homes in Dover, one in Sugarcreek, one between Dover and Sugarcreek, a home and an historic church in Ragersville, and one just south of Ragersville (with a Stone Creek address), all of which will be decked out for the Christmas holiday season.
In addition to the 9 sites on the HHA Tour, the historic J.E. Reeves Victorian Home and Carriage House Museum will be open for your touring enjoyment on the same Sunday -- with extended hours from 12:00 Noon until 7:00 pm -- and for a specially discounted price of $3.00 per person. (Online tour ticket buyers will pick up their tour tickets in the Carriage House, which is located directly behind the mansion.)
Tour Tickets will be available for advance purchase at the discounted price of $12, beginning on November 24th, at the Geib Funeral Centers of Dover and New Philadelphia, Pam's Posies in downtown Dover, and the First National Bank of Dennison-- Dennison location only. Advance ticket sales will be offered at Geib Dover until the close of business on Friday, December 8; Geib-New Philly, Pam's Posies and FNB Dennison (main office only) will offer tickets until 11:30AM on Saturday.
On the day of the tour, tickets may be purchased at any of the tour sites for $15 each, subject to availability.
We hope you enjoy your 2017 Christmas Tour of Homes!
1. Ben and Brittany Minard home - 224 High St, Dover, OH 44622
This white-sided two-story colonial home was built in 1997 and is home to Ben and Brittany and their two children.
Nearly every room in the house is decorated for the holidays, and each room has its own theme.
The Minards enjoy combining traditional Christmas with modern elements in their decorating, making it fun for the children in the process.
They look forward to your visit and are excited to share their love of Christmas and Christmas decorating with you.
2. Brian and Rachel Ice home- 430 E. 3rd St, Dover, OH 44622*
"You know there's a ghost in that house..." And so began the first of many conversations with locals prior to the Ice family moving into this triple-bricked Victorian home near downtown Dover.
The story goes that the manservant of John A. Hostetler (1845-1914), the original owner of the home, had died with unfinished work and was still haunting the house -- often cleaning up dirty dishes left out overnight. Unfortunately, when Brian and Rachel moved in along with their three active children, the ghost apparently thought his work here was finished and moved out!
John Hostetler was born in Pennsylvania, but grew up in Shanesville, Ohio (now called Sugarcreek). He was a Civil War veteran (Co E, 126th Ohio Volunteer Infantry), discharged after two years due to injury. Hostetler graduated from Allegheny College and University of Michigan Law School. He began his law practice in Dover in 1873, doing work for people such as Jeremiah Reeves (Reeves Iron Co). He also was elected mayor of Dover in 1882 and built this home in 1885.
This 5-bedroom home features tall ceilings, original woodwork, and solid interior and exterior brick walls.
The Ices love old houses, and they enjoy sharing stories about their restoration and remodeling projects. Feel free to ask questions!
* This is the only plaqued Heritage Home on this year's tour.
3. The Trevor and Kimberly Mallernee home -- 533 N. Wooster Ave., Dover, OH 44622
This Victorian Era Italianate home was built in 1874, acquired by the Mallernees in May of 2001, and here they reside with their two children and family dog. Prior to their purchasing the home, the double-brick-walled two-story structure had a dual purpose. The first floor served as a doctor's office for many years to both Dr. Bennett and Dr. Dacio. The second level served as a residential apartment.
As you might know, a restoration project often must start with demolition! Before the Mallernees could begin their interior renovation, numerous exam room partitions had to be removed, dropped ceilings taken down, and a second floor kitchen deconstructed. The demolition was an exciting part of the process, as it revealed the original unique floor plan, 10 1/2-foot ceilings, and other architectural details, such as a brick fireplace in the front parlor, stained and leaded glass windows, wide entryways, and an archway at the base of the stairs leading to the parlor. In addition, removal of exterior doors and walls revealed both front and back porches, exposing the home's ornate front entryway.
Christmas is the Mallernees' favorite holiday. They enjoy decorating for Christmas and are delighted to share their home with you this holiday season.
4. The Luke and Cathy Lawless home - 1124 N. Wooster Ave, Dover OH 44622
Built in 1920 by the Huff Family, this 3-story red brick foursquare house is situated on a double lot at the corner of West 12th Street and North Wooster Avenue. Mr. Huff was an early partner/employee of the Marsh Lumber Company.
Some of the unique feature of the home include a brick carriage porch or porte-cochere with driveway access from 12th Street, a spacious front porch, and a second story balcony on the west side of the house.
Interior features include 9-foot ceilings, a beautiful foyer with two staircases leading to the second floor, four sets of handsome French doors with beveled glass, a dining room with two built-in corner cabinets, an office with very attractive built-in bookcases, hardwood floors, crown molding, original base molding, and remodeled kitchen and upstairs bathroom. The spacious walk-up attic can be used as a fifth bedroom, game room, or office.
Luke and Cathy look forward to seeing you on the tour.
5. The Isabelle House - 5485 Old Route 39 NW, Dover, OH 44622
After living for 40 years on her 100-acre farm, she felt the need to downsize. She knew she wanted to live in Tuscarawas County and purchased a 1.25-acre piece of land northeast of Route 93 in the gently rolling hills just east of Sugarcreek. She remembered an article she had saved from the Times Reporter with plans for a small Victorian-style house called The Isabelle House.
In December of 2013, she called Eugene, Oregon, and they sent her the plans for the house. She then hired Tony Frey to do all of the building, and she moved into her dream house on May 11, 2015.
The home's basic shape is that of the Gabled Ell, an L-shaped house, a style commonly built in small towns between 1880 and 1910.
You can't miss this delightful home's unique and unusual colors with steep gabled metal roof and gingerbread trim in aqua and cedar siding in yellow with matching picket fence. The garage mimics the shape of the house with second floor and pointed arch windows with beautiful old glass from the Chili Crossroads Bible Church.
While the house is small, the openness of the living area makes it feel much larger, and every space is carefully utilitized. You will enjoy the 9-foot tall Christmas tree in the 2-story living room, as well as a smaller tree in the loft overlooking the large shining crystal chandelier. In addition, bottle brush trees adorn all eighteen window sills, and candles in every window bring a soft glow to all of the rooms. Enjoy!
6. The Robert and Audrey Schlabach home - 8484 Sugarcreek Rd NW, Sugarcreek, OH 44681
Park your car in the U-shaped driveway and follow the winding sidewalk to the front door of the home of the Schlabach family, where the door swings wide open to family and friends at Christmastime.
Step inside this all-brick 1992 1.5 story home, where you will find generous living space, open-concept styling, and cathedral ceilings. The home appears to have been built especially to accommodate a gathering of Christmas guests!
Outdoor wreaths, a ceramic nativity scene, stockings hung in a row by the fireplace, garland weaving its way through the staircase spindles, a traditional Christmas tree, and music of the season will help get you in the holiday spirit.
Meaningful holiday reminders fill the rooms and create a festive mood.
The weather might be cold, but Christmas is in the air! Step out the back door onto the deck to enjoy a breath of fresh air and a view of the beautiful scenic farm valley to the south.
The Schlabachs hope you find pleasure in the peace and serenity of their country home.
7. Ragersville Zion Church - 8831 Crooked Run Rd SW, Ragersville, OH 44681
Ragersville Zion Church, located just up the hill from the "Square of Ragersville," was incorporated as the First German Reformed Church in 1837, making it 180 years old. The sanctuary was erected 151 years ago in 1866, while the Great Hall and Sunday School area beneath it were added in 1995.
Over the years, Zion Church has become best known for its Banquet Ministry, as the church hosts numerous organizations of Tuscarawas County for their annual dinners and meetings. They also serve spring and fall cafeteria-style dinners for 300-450 people! The dinners occur on the 1st Saturday of April and the 1st Saturday of November, and all of the funds raised are given away to help people pay hospital bills, fund special medical treatments, and purchase equipment for non-profit organizations, to name a few.
The people of Ragersville Zion Church love working together to serve their Savior and the world in many ways.
The Reverend Bruce Haltom has been Pastor here for the past six years.
8. Sonsfield Farm - 2412 Ragersville Rd SW, Ragerville, OH 44681
Sonsfield Farm, located in Ragersville, is the home of the Brad and Cathleen Misko family.
The Miskos are the fourth family to live in this beautiful 2-story farmhouse that was originally constructed in the mid-1880's.
In 2001 and 2006 additions were built to expand the house to accommodate their large and busy family.
The Misko family tradition of hanging garland on the nearly 300 feet of fencing in the front yard on the day after Thanksgiving launches them into the holiday season.
Nearly all of the rooms in the house have their own Christmas tree, varying in size depending on the room, and the Misko's family-style holiday decorating allows them to enjoy the many decorations that are particularly precious to them, because they are items inherited, made, or purchased over the years that are filled with family memories and meaning.
9. The Bruce and Suzanne Stauffer home - 11174 Gunther Miller Rd SW, Stone Creek, OH 43740
With a Stone Creek postal address, the Stauffer home is located just 3 miles south of Ragersville, equidistant from Ragersville, Baltic, and Bakersville. This family farm, nestled in a triangular-shaped valley, is surrounded by hills and creeks.
Thirty-seven years in the building (by a previous owner), the Stauffers were the first inhabitants when they moved from their farm house to this home in 2013.
The Stauffers' daughter Amy and son-in-law Paul McNutt (and friends) worked on the house for the past four years, adding hand-crafted rough-sawn hickory trim and floors, cast iron registers, plaster molding, drawers in the stairs, and many other creative touches such as the rounded corners in two of the bedrooms.
Adding interest to your tour will be an exhibit of hand-sewn clothing made by Suzanne for the family over the years.
In 2016 Bruce's Toy Shop was built to display his collection of John Deere letter tractors, antique cars, a 1976 cab-0ver Coca-Cola delivery truck, and trailers to haul his "toys." The Toy Shop was designed large enough to accommodate farm machinery for repairs and storage. Guests are welcome to tour both home and Toy Shop.
NOTES FOR A PLEASANT TOUR:
1. Purchase tickets early-- A limited number of tickets are available and have sold out for 6 consecutive years.
2. Start early so that you can visit all of the sites (homes and church open at noon), and plan to spend the afternoon.
3. Wear comfortable shoes that can easily be taken off and put back on, unless you'd prefer to wear hospital-style "shoe covers" (aka booties) while inside the tour homes.. Also note that touring homes might involve walking to and from sites or to site from car and back. High heels are not recommended. Please wear shoes that you can walk in safely and comfortably.
4. We suggest starting out in Dover at the J.E. Reeves Home and Carriage House Museum, where online ticket buyers will pick up their ticket booklets. If you purchase tickets at one of the retail locations (described above) before tour day or at one of the nine official tour sites on tour day, and already have tickets in hand, you may tour the sites in any order you choose, and there is no reason for you to stop at the Reeves Home or Carriage House unless you specifically want to tour it in addition to the nine official tour sites.
5. Once you have your ticket booklet, keep it with you at all times, ready to present upon entry at each tour site. (Note that presenting your tour ticket booklet at Reeves Museum will also entitle you to their discounted $3 tour price.)
6. Stick around, enjoy the wonderful restaurants in the area, and please patronize our advertisers when you can!
7. Remember the historic Reeves Victorian Mansion is open for your touring pleasure from 12:00 Noon to 7:00PM ($3), which means it will remain open for two full hours after our Christmas Tour of Homes concludes.
The Heritage Home Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to the documentation and preservation of the architecturally and historically significant homes and other structures of Tuscarawas County.
ARTICLE BY PATTI STRICKLING & ROD KIRKENDALL, PHOTOS BY ROD KIRKENDALL & HOMEOWNERS
HHA Awards Heroes, Presents Historic Marker
May 11, 2017
On Thursday evening, members and friends of Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County gathered at the Zoar Schoolhouse to honor four Heroes of Preservation and to present a Historic Marker for Zoar’s Bimeler House Museum.
HHA President Tom Strickling of New Philadelphia opened the proceeding with a comment regarding membership in Heritage Home Association. “It seems like every year for the last ten years we end up with a record number of members. There must be a good reason for that! If you’d like to join us…”
Strickling went on to present Heroes of Preservation awards to David & Sara Mae Stutsman, Rosemary Hafliger and her mother Ruth Hafliger, and Rick Geis. An intended fourth recipient, Kerry Schaffner, was unable to attend.
Rick Geis is Maintenance Director for the Zoar Community Association. While you and I might take pride in maintaining and preserving our own house, Rick is charged with the maintenance of all of the historic homes and structures in the historic village of Zoar.
Having started with the intention of helping out part time after he retired from previous employment, it seems now you can find Rick somewhere on the grounds working at something almost all hours of the day and night.
His commitment and devotion are praiseworthy, as a significant amount of the work he does spills over into hours that he volunteers. Rick Geis is a Hero of Preservation.
The Stutzman’s restored the Victorian era home at 615 Fair Avenue NW in New Philadelphia, having purchased the home in 2016 when it was in a state of serious disrepair.
With much hard work and skill, they were able to return the house to something much closer to what it must have looked like when it was built, c.1890’s-1910..
What a great look and a welcome improvement for the neighborhood. Heroes indeed! Kudos to Sarah Mae and David.
Unlike the Stutzmans’ recent restoration that was completed inside of one year, Rosemary and Ruth Hafliger’s saga seemed that it might never end, in part due to an inebriated driver plowing into the front of the house, damaging the stone steps, front porch, foundation, original columns, and other collateral damage – while restoration work was in progress.
This iconic colonial revival home, built in 1900, has indeed been a work in progress for many years, and a passerby, at one point, wrote to the Times Reporter complaining that it was an eye sore and should be torn down.
Despite all obstacles, including an insurance company that refused to cover all the damage, the Hafligers persevered.
The result of their patience, hard work, and perseverance is a restoration masterpiece at the corner of North Broadway and Ray Avenue NW in New Philadelphia. (pictured below)
(Kerrie Schaffner was to be recognized for preservation efforts on the splendid 1884 Queen Anne home at 422 North Broadway in New Philadelphia. The house has been featured by Cat’s Meow and in America’s Painted Ladies. She was unable to attend.)
After having been a part of the movement to save the historic village of Zoar and, specifically, the Bimeler House on 3rd Street in Zoar, members of Heritage Home Association believe the 1868 structure worthy of a Historic Marker.
< Chris Buchanan of Ohio History Connection (formerly Ohio Historical Society) was present to accept the Historic Marker from HHA vice-president of plaquing (and past president) Jerry Stoughton.
Forced to close in 2005 due to extensive flood damage, the Bimeler House, featuring the Bimeler Art Gallery, will celebrate its grand reopening on Saturday morning, May 20, 2017. (See before and after pics below)
In the Preservation Month of May, there’s never “nothing” going on.
After an eventful year, we fast-forward into the unknown -- 2017
Monday, January 16, 2017
The hectic pace created by the presidential election process in the USA has slowed, as a new president was elected on November 8. The Holiday Season was a blur for many of us with "just too much going on." And, again, we move forward with high hopes for our community, our nation, and for Planet Earth.
Directors and members of The Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County met for the organization's Annual Meeting last week at the historic Five Oaks Mansion, which has been the home of Massillon Women's Club for many years. President Tom Strickling recapped a busy year-gone-by for our organization and commented that our membership, in numbers, is at a record high. "We must be doing something right."
Officers, directors, and committee chairs will remain the same until elections at the 2018 annual meeting, as those 2-year terms began their second year this month. Tom Strickling remains President; Patti Strickling, Executive Vice-President; Liz Hipp, Secretary; Joseph Patashinsky, Treasurer; George Laurence, Vice-President Projects; Jerry Stoughton, Vice-President Plaquing; Marlena Allen, Vice-President Programs; Robin Mackey, Vice-President Social Activities; and Rod Kirkendall, Vice-President Public Relations. The only recent change was the appointment of Linda Shetler as Vice-President of Membership late last year, replacing Craig Main for the remainder of the term.
Many meeting attendees arrived early to peruse the fine hand-hewn wood work and antiques in the mansion, three floors of it. It is an amazing display of craftsmanship and art of many kinds. After dinner, an MWC member guided those interested in the official tour.
Next event up for Heritage Home Association is our participation in the 7th Annual T-County Patriot Rally at New Towne Mall in New Philadelphia -- Saturday, February 18, 2017, from 10AM to 4PM. There will be a look-alike contest at 12:30PM (win an Eriter!), interactions with re-enactors and living historians, and free goodie bags for the first 500 kids to arrive. The kids can also complete a Scavenger Hunt for a chance to win an iPad Mini, Kindle Fire, and more! Also, you can contact the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum for more information about the Essay Contest and Art Contest. Contact them at 740-922-6776.
After that, we host the first Olde House Parts & Antiques Sale at Patrick House at 8AM on Saturday, April 29, 2017. Patrick House is located at 233 Fair Ave NW, New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663. Our second and final sale of the season will be held on Saturday, June 24, 2017, 8AM-2PM. Visit Olde House Parts website at http://tuschha.org/index.php/olde-house-parts.
Of course, May is Preservation Month, and we will be crowning our newest Heroes of Preservation. Stay tuned for details about the event and the award winners.
December will bring the 24th Annual Christmas Tour of Homes on Sunday the 10th, from Noon until 5:00PM. Stay tuned for details later in the year. Our Christmas Tour site is at http://tuschha.org/index.php/ctour-wreath.
Members of Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County meet monthly on the first Thursday of each month, often at a member's home, frequently in a historic home or other historic site. Board meetings are held monthly on the Thursday immediately preceding the Members' Meeting. Those who volunteer to help with events and other projects meet at other times, as well.
February 4, 2016
Historic Marker for School House Winery
On December 17, a Plaquing Committee comprised of Patti Strickling, Tom Strickling, George Laurence, Craig Main, Amy Main, Jerry Stoughton, and Liz Hipp, assembled at the School House Winery (445 Schneider's Crossing Rd NW, Dover OH). Their purpose was to inspect what was once Oak Grove School for determination of whether the building qualified to be awarded a Historic Marker.
Just a few months before, in May of 2015, Marketing Director Courtney Thomas-Keiser was present at the historic Quaker Cinema to accept a Heroes of Preservation Award on behalf of the School House's owners for their restoration efforts and repurposing of the building as a winery. Heroes of Preservation awards are presented during Preservation Month each year to deserving property owners, whether they be owners of a private residence or some other structure.
The one-room Oak Grove School House was built in 1886 and hosted classes of as many as 40 students for over 50 years. While the school closed in 1941, its legacy lives on, as memories of school days at Oak Grove are rekindled at reunions that began in 1980 with Walter Lembright, who was a teacher at Oak Grove, serving as master of ceremonies.
Considering what the building has been through over the last 130 years, the work invested by owners Dave and Jennifer Jangunic (and all who helped) served to preserve and fortify the original structure of the historic school house, and it is remarkable how closely the finished product resembles the original structure. The Jagunics are to be commended for their choice to restore, rather than remodel, in every situation where they had a choice. Great job!
Each member of the plaquing committee conducted his or her own inspection, independent of the others, scoring each of the relevant aspects of the building, inside and out. Once that was completed, the group met inside, where they tallied their points, compared notes, and deliberated. (The wine-tasting will have to wait..)
It was determined by the committee that School House Winery Building 6 meets Heritage Home Association's requirements for a Historic Marker, and their recommendation to approve the award was made to the members of the organization. The general membership accepted their recommendation and voted in favor.
The Jagunics, along with Courtney Keiser, attended the monthly members' meeting of the Association on Thursday, February 4.
After an entertaining lecture on the history of Oak Grove School by Vice-President of Plaquing, Jerry Stoughton, Stoughton presented a well-deserved Historic Marker to School House owners Dave and Jennifer Jagunic. (pictured left) A Historic Marker may be approved and awarded for a home or other building of historical significance -- preferably one that has its original facade, structure, and lines still evident and is in good repair.
Thank you, Dave, Jennifer, Courtney, and all who took part in saving this wonderful piece of Tuscarawas County history. We wish you great success with the School House Winery. Keep up the great work!
(Pictured below is one of the original windows and sole surviving parts of a desk from the 1886 Oak Grove School House, now on display at School House Winery for the enjoyment of all who visit.)
School House Winery Building 6 was named "Ohio's Most Unique Winery," and under the capable leadership of the Jagunics, the Winery was also selected as Small Business of the Year (2015) by the Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce
At last count, the School House had seventeen Building 6 brand wines to choose from, several of which are award-winners (and all made from scratch on site), as well as fresh-brewed coffee and tea and soft drinks -- which means they have something to please just about anyone. They also offer a selection of appetizers, pizza, and subs. They're open to the public Tuesday-Thursday from 12:00PM to 9:00PM, on Friday and Saturday from 12:00PM-10:00PM, closed on Sunday and Monday. Looking for a unique place for a private party? Check it out..
For more information, visit School House Winery Building 6 on the web at http://www.schoolhousewine.com.
For information on becoming a member of the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County, please contact our Membership VP or download a membership application here.
January 8, 2016
Slate of Officers and Directors Elected for 2016-2017
At its Annual Meeting in January at the Canal Tavern of Zoar, members of the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County elected 10 directors to new two-year terms.
They are (L-R)
Front row: George Laurence (VP Projects), Liz Hipp (Secretary), Robin Mackey (VP Social Acitivities), Marlena Allen (VP Programs), Patti Strickling (Executive Vice-President)
Back Row: Rod Kirkendall (VP Public Relations), Jerry Stoughton (VP Plaquing), Craig Main (VP Membership), Tom Strickling (President), Joseph Patashinsky (Treasurer)
Directors meet monthly on the Thursday preceding the regular monthly members' meeting of the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County.
The Canal Tavern of Zoar is located on the Ohio and Erie Scenic Byway and the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath trail, serving "travelers" on the canal, visitors to Historic Zoar Village and others with fine food and famous Zoar hospitality.
October 4, 2015
Blue Star Memorial Marker Dedicated at Dover City Park
200 American flags adorned the grassy strips along both sides of North Wooster Avenue in front of Dover City Park on Sunday, and more than 100 proud citizens turned out for the dedication of a Blue Star Memorial marker. The marker was purchased by Dover Garden Club, whose members raised the necessary funds by holding fund raisers such as plant sales, as well as generous contributions from a handful of local businesses.
Master of Ceremonies Linda Shetler of Dover introduced Dover Mayor Richard Homrighausen to help kick off the ceremony. U.S. Army chaplain Sgt. James Sanders delivered the invocation. New Philadelphia VFW Post 1445 and Dover VFW Post 3463 members were on hand for an Honor Guard Presentation of Colors and recognition of all veterans and active service members. Members of Girl Scout Troop No. 600116, Boy Scout Troop Nos. 94 and 301 led us in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Lynn Fronk, president of Garden Club of Ohio, spoke on the history of the Blue Star Memorial program, which was started in 1945 by the National Garden Clubs, Inc. to honor the men and women serving in the Armed Forces of the U.S.A. during World War II. Its name came from the star on the flags displayed in the windows of homes and businesses ever since World War I -- a silent announcement that a family member was serving in the Armed Forces. Known as the Service Flag, the blue star is a symbol of hope and pride. Although the service flags virtually vanished during the Korean and Vietnam wars, they appeared again during the Persian gulf war in 1991, the Iraq War, and now the War on Terror.
The first year after the memorial program was adopted (1946), seven states, led by Rhode Island, had joined the Blue Star Memorial Highway system. By 1949, 33 of the existing 41 state garden clubs had established routes and more than 16,000 miles of highway had been dedicated. The program grew to extend thousands of miles across the continental United States, as well as into Alaska and Hawaii. All men and women who have served, are currently serving, or will serve in the Armed Forces of the United States of America are included and appreciated.
Present to accept the Marker on behalf of veterans and active armed forces personnel were Sgt. Sanders, U.S. Army combat veteran Randy Feemster of New Philadelphia, and Dover Fire Dept Chief Russ Volkert. Feemster spoke of his experience coming home from Vietnam to a less than friendly welcome and dealing with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), praising wife Sharon, as well as Debbie Cook of the Veterans Service Office, for their help in getting him through it, and he encouraged others to ask for help. PTSD is a debilitating condition of the human mind that results in a feeling of helplessness that can follow the experience or witnessing of a traumatic, tragic, or terrifying event, especially when one's own safety is threatened. War veterans, as well as victims of rape and other violent assaults are commonly at risk for PTSD, and many thousands suffer its effects. Symptoms can include disturbing recurring flashbacks and avoidance or numbing of memories of the event, in addition to feeling totally helpless.
The day’s proceedings were brought to a conclusion with an arousing solo rendition of God Bless America by Carolyn Brodzinski, Rifle Salute & Taps by members of VFW Posts 1445 (New Philadelphia) and 3463 (Dover), and benediction by U.S. Navy chaplain James Scalf, Master Chief (Ret.).
Blue Star Memorial Markers continue to be dedicated each year on highways, Veterans’ facilities, National Cemeteries, parks, civic sites, and historic landmarks to express appreciation for those who defend our country – the land of the free, thanks to them.
A big THANK YOU to Heritage Home Association members Linda Shetler, Betsy Humphrey, Sharon Feemster, Randy Feemster, Larry Clawson, Alan & Sarah Tipka, whose participation and support went a long way in helping to make this dedication a wonderful event. Well done!
For more information contact Linda Shetler of the Dover Garden Club at 330-343-5904. Donations may be sent to Dover Garden Club c/o Beverly Prince, Treasurer at 10473 Dolphin Street SW, Beach City, Ohio 44608.
To learn more about National Garden Clubs, Inc., visit their official website at http://www.gardenclub.org.
(article and photos by Rod Kirkendall)
Olde House Parts Sale at Historic Patrick House
The historic Patrick House in New Philadelphia will host The Heritage Home Association's last benefit garage sale of the season on Saturday, August 29, from 8am to 2pm, featuring architectural salvage such as old and very old interior and exterior house hardware, fixtures, and accessories. Also, miscellaneous antiques will be on display for show and for sale.
Located at 233 Fair Avenue, NW, Patrick House was lovingly restored by its owners, Hugh & Carolyn Berry of New Philadelphia, and they have been so gracious as to loan us the use of the garage.
Customers might find light fixtures and globes, interior and exterior doors and door hardware, windows and window latches and other related parts, moldings, pillars, sinks, signs, corbels, mantels, gas lights, grates, spindles, drawer pulls, brackets, shutters, bathroom fixtures, and even a claw foot bathtub, slate for roofing (or arts and crafts) and slabs of old fireplace marble. Among antques for sale are furniture items such as hardwood chairs and chests. All inventory is donated by friends and members of the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County.
At right, HHA Plaquing Vice-President Jeffrey Miller and Olde House Parts project manager George Laurence examine olde house parts.. >
Proceeds of the sale support the Association in its ambitious mission: the documentation and preservation of the architecturally and historically significant homes, buildings, and neighborhoods of Tuscarawas County, cultivating awareness and appreciation of this part of the local heritage, encouraging interest in preserving historic structures within the community, and educating those who are interested in preservation or are actively involved in the restoration of historically significant structures or community landmarks.
Donations of Old House Parts (pre-1950) and antiques are currently being accepted. Contributions of merchandise and/or cash donations may be tax deductible, as the organization is tax-exempt under IRS Section 501(c)(3).
Thanks to all who have helped, made donations, and dropped by to visit. We hope to see you at our next sale --Saturday, September 20, 2014. We'll be there bright and early.
For more information about our sales, about making contributions of old house parts or offering financial support, or to volunteer your help, call George at 330-364-5757.
To date, 70 historic homes and other structures in Tuscarawas County have been awarded Heritage Home Plaques, 20th Century Plaques, or Historic Markers by the Association, including the county courthouse in New Philadelphia and Dover’s historic Reeves Victorian Mansion. In addition, 20 others have been presented with Heroes of Preservation awards.
For more information about Heritage Home Association and its plaques, email info @ tuschha.org. Interested in becoming a supporting member? Email membership @ tuschha.org, visit Tod at Renaissance Salon in downtown Dover, or call 330-340-4455.
Heroes Honored at The Quaker May 12, 2015
While the National Trust for Historic Preservation endeavors to recognize, save, and celebrate historic places all over the U.S.A., this local group in Tuscarawas County, Ohio is doing its best to encourage the preservation and enrichment actitivites that have made its communities special.
Members and friends of the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County gathered early Tuesday evening at The Quaker Cinema in downtown New Philadelphia to honor six Heroes of Preservation and to award a Historic Marker to their host.
A Heroes of Preservation Plaque is HHA's way of saying, "Great job! Thank you so much for your efforts!"
The 2015 recipients of Heroes plaques are:
1) RTY – for its 1928 Herschell-Spillman Antique Carousel at Tuscora Park in New Philadelphia, accepted by Cary Gardner. The historic Carousel has been painstakingly restored and maintained through the efforts of RTY, members of the Rotary Club of New Philadelphia, and grants and donations from foundations, organizations, and individuals. This flagship attraction has been operating at Tuscora Park since 1941. It is one of only a few all-wooden carousels left anywhere in the world. Thirty-six hand-carved, all wood jumping horses and two chariots travel around 14 original oil paintings. Music is provided by a Wurlitzer-style 153-band organ. Tuscora Park? You’d be hard-pressed to find another amusement park as affordable as this one!
Jo Herrron and Patti Strickling are escorted to their seats by Kas Kaswinkel.
2) Dan & Judy Garver for their restoration and repurposing of the historic Baltic Mill at 111 E. Main Street in downtown Baltic, Ohio, which is now the Baltic Mill Winery. Many visitors will remember The Baltic Mill as a bulk food and gift shop. Since purchasing the building, the Garvers removed the added shelves and walls to expose the striking features of the original flour mill. Upon entering the main seating and tasting room, you’ll notice chutes and machinery that have been preserved from the early 20th Century. This is truly one of a kind.
3) Brian & Rachel Ice for their restoration efforts on the brick house at 303 E 3rd Street in Dover, Ohio. This historic brick home had been painted pink by a previous owner. In addition to all of the necessary repairs to the house, inside and out, Brian and Rachel had all of the pink paint removed, restoring the house to its original red brick glory. Drive by and take a look. It looks great!
4) Dave & Jennifer Jagunic for their restoration and repurposing of the original 1886 one-room Oak Grove School house, which is now the School House Winery, 455 Schneiders Crossing Rd NW, Dover, Ohio. Marketing Director Courtney Keiser was present to accept the award. Kudos to the Jagunics and all who helped them for their efforts to restore, rather than renovate and remodel, as much as possible, keeping the building remarkably close to its original look and feel. While the school closed in 1941, its legacy lives on, as memories of school days at Oak Grove are rekindled at reunions that began in 1980 with Walter Lembright, a former teacher at the school, serving as master of ceremonies!
5) The Deetz Brothers, Brandon & Damon, for their part in the restoration of numerous downtown buildings, including The Quaker Cinema. Deetz Brothers are located at 6345 Rocky Ridge SW in Stone Creek. Their contribution to this monumental undertaking is being appreciated by many who pass by and who go to the movies at The Quaker.
6) Nate Hawkins for his recreation of the neon sign that became part of the restoration of the beautiful façade of The Quaker Cinema in downtown New Philadelphia. Nate’s business, Nate Hawkins’ Neon Signs is located at 1145 W High Avenue in New Philadelphia. Great job, Nate!
Last, but not least, Quaker Cinema owner Mike Ernest and his family were present to accept a well-deserved Historic Marker for The Quaker Cinema, located at 158 W High Avenue in New Philadelphia.
<Mike Ernest (R) accepts a Historic
Marker for The Quaker Cinema from
HHA VP of Plaquing Jeff Miller (L)
The Quaker was the first theater built exclusively for movies in Tuscarawas County. Originally, one massive screen in an 800+ seat auditorium made the headlines on opening day -- November 1st, 1940. Later, during the 1980s, The Quaker was converted into a two-screen theater to provide an additional movie option. Previous owners also made attempts to “remodel” the exterior of the theater, concealing the splendor of its original design. Ernest’s passion for restoring the exterior resulted in the beautiful façade you see today.
With a rich history of providing local entertainment for more than seven decades, The Quaker Cinema is dedicated to offering the community first-run movies at affordable prices. Those who stayed after the award ceremony were treated to a free showing of the 1948 movie classic Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, starring Cary Grant and Myrna Loy.
To date, 71 Tuscarawas County historic homes and other structures have been awarded Heritage Home Plaques, 20th Century Plaques, or Historic Markers by The Heritage Home Association including the county courthouse in New Philadelphia, Dover’s historic Reeves Victorian Mansion, and now The Quaker! In addition, 20 Heroes of Preservation plaques have been awarded.
HHA Members Elect Directors for 2015, Award Plaque
At its annual meeting, held at the historic Canal Tavern of Zoar on Thursday evening, members of the Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County elected officers and directors for 2015 and awarded a 20th Century Heritage Home Plaque to a homeowner in Dover.
President Tom Strickling of New Philadelphia conducted a brief meeting before the elections and festivities began, during which he recapped the year just passed and commented on HHA members’ participation in the T-County Patriot Rally (and presentation of a Scavenger Hunt there for student participants), Tusc County Library displays, continuing involvement with the Village of Zoar and ZCA, three Olde House Parts and Antique Sales, celebration of Preservation Month with the awarding of Historic Markers and Heritage Home Plaques to recipients in Newcomerstown, Dover, and Zoar, as well as Heroes of Preservation plaques to two homeowners in Newcomerstown and the repurposed Newcomerstown Library Annex. Adding an exclamation point to the year’s end was their presentation of the 21st Annual Christmas Tour of Homes, which was attended by nearly 400.
Monthly members’ meetings took place in the homes of several members, including Magnolia Manor, as well as Olde Main Street Museum in Newcomerstown, Claudine’s Dress and Gift Shop in New Philadelphia, Fort Laurens Museum, and Rich & Cathy Geib’s Carriage House.
One of the meetings was held at the home of director Jerry Stoughton on Ray Avenue in New Philadelphia, and Stoughton talked that night about the long and drawn-out process of naming and renaming the streets of the county seat during the 1920’s. Perhaps most interesting, though, was the fact that, while excavating to repair and level the driveway at his home, they discovered an intact bomb shelter beneath. “If walls could talk” ? How about driveways?!
The Association also recently added two new Lifetime members – Tom Strickling and Tod Carper.
Many Association members are actively involved in ongoing restoration projects on their own homes around Tuscarawas County. On May 2, 2015, the Association will present its next THAT Olde House Restoration & Preservation Workshop for the purpose of educating homeowners who wish to restore their own old house. The workshop will take place in the historic Zoar School House.
Elected as directors (pictured) for 2015 were: (BACK ROW) Tom Strickling, President; George Laurence, VP-Projects; Jerry Stoughton, VP-Membership; Jeff Miller, VP-Plaquing; Joseph Patashinsky, Treasurer; (FRONT ROW) Rod Kirkendall, VP-Public Relations; Patti Strickling, Executive Vice-President; Marlena Allen, VP-Programs; Robin Mackey, VP-Social Activities; Liz Hipp, Secretary
Ian Wamboldt was present to receive a 20th Century Heritage Home Plaque for his home (pictured below) on East Iron Avenue in Dover. Vice-President of Plaquing, Jerry Stoughton presented the award. He said, “Ian’s home is an 8-room two-story brick house with some Arts & Crafts details that was built in 1914 by John W. Phillips. Mr. Phillips was brought here from Wales by industrialist Jeremiah Reeves for the purpose of building houses. Phillips lived in the home until his passing in 1968, and the house was sold by his widow and children in 1976. Ian is the 6th owner of the Phillips House.”
The plaque is the fourth 20th Century Plaque, and the 70th plaque
overall, awarded by the Heritage Home Association in recognition of exceptional efforts in the preservation or restoration of historically and architecturally significant homes and other structures of Tuscarawas County.
Stoughton continued, “The home’s library, with its original wall paper, is separated from the parlor by square columns. The interior of the home also features quarter-sawn oak woodwork and floor, a fireplace, and built-in bookcase and benches. The dining room has its original chandelier and a built-in corner china closet. Even the second floor bathroom retains its original fixtures. The house also has a walk-up attic and full basement.”
The Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County is a non-profit Ohio corporation dedicated to the preservation and documentation of the architecturally and historically significant homes and other historic structures of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The Association endeavors to develop and encourage interest within the community in preserving these historic structures, to cultivate appreciation of this part of our local heritage, and to educate individuals interested in preserving or restoring local homes and other buildings. The Association is tax-exempt under IRS Section 501(c)(3).
Heritage Home Association offers a piece of history from Zoar
By Kyle Valentini, Editor | The Bargain Hunter
The Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association has come across some rare finds over the years—vintage windows, mantels, columns and period fixtures. Most of the pieces have been offered at one of the organization’s Olde House Parts sales at various times throughout the year. (The next is coming up on Saturday, April 28, 2018, from 8am to 2pm.)
This time the association has something very special — the porch from Zoar’s historic Bimeler Museum is up for sale, and it is in excellent condition.
The Bimeler House was home to Joseph Bimeler, one of the original founders of the Society of Separtists of Zoar and the operator of the Zoar Hotel. While the house was constructed in 1868, the porch was added later, circa 1900.
The Ohio Historical Society acquired the house and its contents when it was bequeathed to them in 1942 by Lillian Ruof Bimeler Sturm, the wife of Bimeler descendant William Bimeler. The home was operated as a museum, and no admission was ever charged per the request of Sturm.
The museum closed in 2005 when flooding severely compromised the foundation and structural integrity of the historic home, destroyed the heating and electrical systems, and left plaster walls with cracks and mold. More flooding in 2008 worsened the situation.
The house had settled about six inches on its northwest corner, according to Bill Pickard of the Ohio Historical Society. A complete renovation currently underway will restore the home to its original condition, of which the porch was not a part.
“The porch was donated to the Heritage Home Association by Ohio Historical Society, with the idea being that we might be able to sell it for a fundraiser,” said Rod Kirkendall, longtime member and treasurer for the nonprofit group. “The TCHHA board decided that whatever we are able to get for the porch would be donated for the benefit of the Bimeler Museum restoration.”
The Federal-style porch package includes four columns, four capitals, four pedestals, two pilasters and the 8-by-14-foot roof, which is made of soldered tin. The fully-assembled columns (with pedestals and capitals) are 10 feet tall.
"We believe the porch was constructed circa 1900,” said Kirkendall. “Since the Zoarites had built their own lumber mill and were operating it for their own projects, as well as commercially, one would presume that the wood was from local trees, milled in Zoar to their specifications.”
The Bimeler Museum will re-open once renovations are complete. Kirkendall suspects the project could take another year or more. “I would guess a year, at the very least, probably longer,” he said.
"The house is back on its newly re-created foundation utilizing all of the original foundation stones. Electrical work and plumbing were just getting started in the last couple of weeks. Still to come, professional stripping of all of the paint from the exterior brick, repair and restoration of brick façade, repointing, window and door repair or restoration, repair and or restoration of interior walls, ceilings and floors.”
The Bimeler Museum is located at 198 W. Third St. in Zoar.